Monday, December 31, 2012

Les Misérables




First off, getting the accent above the 'e' took me forever to do. I don't know why the space behind her head is glowing . . . I love it when that happens! It happens to me all of the time.
This post is coming to you in three parts.
PART 1 The Film (2012) Spoiler Free
I saw the film and it was amazing! Disclaimer: Most people are saying that if you don't like musicals they don't know if you'll like the film, but I am telling you right now, if you don't like musicals, you will hate this. If you did not know, the story is 99% singing and the spoken word is a) part of a song or b) connecting two songs. I have seen the play (on TV), but I saw it when I was about 5 and at that point, everything was going way over my head. On to the film. The singing was amazing. I love the fact that it was not prerecorded, but in fact they sang on set. It added a lot of emotion and reality to the film. Hats off to Anne Hathaway for I Dreamed a Dream (amaz-sauce!). Russel Crowe was very meh and they needed a stronger Javert. Other than that, the acting was fantastic and the cinematography was beautiful. The film along with its actors definitely deserve awards for this.
PART 2 The Book
I have no idea if you have seen the book, but it is huge. It's like the (better plotted, thought out, intelligent, awesome, wonderful, thank the lord its lacking Kristen Stewart) version of Twilight. I haven't actually read it (don't have that much free time).
PART 3 The Reviews
For the most part it has gotten good reviews by journalists and YouTubers alike. Of course there are haters (don't be hatin'!), but I just have a problem with the people getting the facts wrong. People say that this took place during the French Revolution. NO! YOU ARE WRONG! The French Revolution that you think about when you think of the French Revolution, the one with the guillotine and Marie Antoinette, took place during 1790s.This story goes from about 1815-1832, so unless Victor Hugo was really bad at current and historical events (in his own country), this book does not take place during the French Revolution. The part most are saying is the French Revolution is in fact something entirely different called the June Rebellion.
PART 0 Other Stuff I wanna say
Every song is amazing and I liked it so much that I am about to see it a second time (not at 6:30 in the morning). SEE IT! I broke the "no caps on the Internet" rule so many times . . .
other PART 0
My favorite songs from this epicness some might call a film include:
These are in no particular order except the first song listed. I love it (I don't prefer one part where they sing it over another. It's way to amazing for that)
Do You Hear the People Sing?
Castle on a Cloud
I Dreamed a Dream
Look Down
One Day More
Empty Chairs at Empty Tables
Stars (not the Russel Crowe version-just YouTube someone else singing it-I know you know how)
Master of the House
At the End of the Day
and every other song (no really, I don't know if I've said it but they are all amazing)
other other PART 0
and a picture! (again)

2 comments:

  1. ...There's a rule about no caps on the internet? (My part of the internet did not know this)
    Also, I plan to see this once I find someone to drive me there. The musical I saw on stage was really good, even though it wasn't my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom went to see it. She said it was good, though they changed some stuff from the book which she didn't like.
    She agrees about Russel Crowe. He has such a baby face. He can't play a vilian!

    ReplyDelete